- Danny, When I talked to you last night, I was some what boastful for having taken such good care of Shadow. He has been an indescribable joy, not only to me, but to absolutely everyone he has come in contact with. Even Skye, who comes to my back door every morning about 7:15, for a treat of course, but also to rendezvous with his play mate. Eager to learn more about the fine art of "treeing" squirrels though, Shadow was always in charge of the barking part. Skye never barks at anything. It is with the heaviest of hearts that I must now inform you that there has been a terrible accident. This morning, as I was driving over to the pole barn, to collect the empty 5 gallon gas cans for re-fill in Shreveport, Skye and Shadow were playing chase, ahead of my truck, as they always do. Shadow always yipes at Skye and nips at his heels as if to say, "You get away from my master's truck. That's 'my' master. You go find your own.” Shadow ran under the front wheel of my truck and was killed instantly. I had been driving extra slowly because two weeks ago, a squirrel ran under my tire and was fatally wounded. I felt terrible about that. None the less, it happened. There was no thump, no bump, no hump, not even a yelp, to alarm me of the situation. It was only when I exited my truck to load the gas cans and glanced over to notice Shadow lying in the driveway that I wondered why he would be tired enough to lay down and rest after such a short exertion. On second glance, I realized something was terribly wrong. By then it was too late. Shadow was already in heaven. CPR was not an option. I have been crying all day long. That hasn't helped. I'm on beer #8, and that's not helping. My heart is sooooo heavy I don't know what to do. But I feel that I owe it to you to let you know what has happened. I feel that I have let you down in a most grievous way and that "I'm sorry." borders on insulting. There is nothing anyone can do now. I could have stopped. I didn't. Mea maxima culpa. I couldn't wait for your visit in October when you were to reunite with him, and see his reaction. Now that will have to wait until later. Apart from my grief, this day has been preoccupied with my concern about how I should break this news to you. What you are reading is the result of that concern. I know that you too will grieve in what ever way manifests itself. Be that as it may, your grief is your's. Regardless, I will never thank you enough for bringing Shadow into my life, and I choose to believe that Shadow died happy, doing a thing that dogs often do, and knowing that he was doing it exceptionally well. This evening, at sundown, when SHADOWS are the longest, I buried him near the pond in my back yard, under the tallest, most majestic oak tree on the property. I choose to believe that his essence will enable that tree to become even more majestic which will equate into even more SHADE. I wanted to be alone at that time. Others here were respectful of that and I am thankful. I need some time to make peace in my heart regarding all of this and I hope you understand. So please do not call me with a bunch of questions, none of the answers to which will change anything. I simply am unable at this time to verbalize about any of it without blubbering. I'll talk to you later, when I am able to. If it's any consolation to you, know this. As I pushed the wheel barrel back to the house from the gravesite, Skye treed a squirrel. When he got to the base of the tree, He barked. I love you, Dad.
- Belle, She was crazy and a handfull but she was loved and in return gave soo much back.
- Dakota and I had a great life together. He in some way touched the lives of all that met him. He was diagnosed with bone cancer, I stayed with him untill the end, because I owed that to him. He was my friend.
- I never knew I could miss him so much
- KLAUS, LAST DAYS HE WAS A GREAT DOG AND WE'LL MISS HIM DEARLY.
- My best friend and the love of my life!
- My beautiful girl!
- We lost a member of our Rainbow family, her name was Tinkerbell. Everybody loved her so much and she will be missed.
- This was before my baby boy got very sick again. I rescued him from his previous owners and did my best to provide him with the best opportunity for a wonderful life. We will miss him very much.
- My Daughter Bonnita a true red head
- She loves to take naps on her mommy's pillow
- Here's our little guy, Gator just hiding out in the dryer helping with the laundry
- Blue Eyes!
Mia and Max
- Mia and Max ready for their walk
- Bright Lights, Big City, Litte Miss Vega
- Yes, I know I'm so handsome. You may kiss my paw :o)